Civic House is being developed as a learning space for inclusive city development. It will provide workspaces, workshop, cafe and venue that will host a programme of activity that support cross-disciplinary learning, experimentation and critical dialogue.
Civic House is situated in Speirs Locks, just below the Forth & Clyde canal and north of Glasgow city centre. In the early 1900’s it was one of the most densely populated areas in the developed world due to the cluster of industry around the canal. Following industrial decline and the construction of the M8 motorway in the 1960’s the area was cut off from the city centre and declined causing deep-rooted social, economic and spatial issues.
Since 2006 there has been a growing momentum of change in the area driven by cultural, sports and social initiatives. This has led to the initiation of the Glasgow Canal Co-op to drive the development of the area in partnership with local people and organisations.
The aim of Civic House is to support this activity by providing space for work, production, discussion and social activity.
The building was built in the 1920’s as a print works – ‘Civic Press’ – specialising in left-wing publishing of posters and publications for unions and political movements. It was a survivor of the radical activity so characteristic of early 20th-century Glasgow.